Verandahs are required on permitted activities within the Commercial Zone, Hokitika as follows:
- Where buildings are erected, reconstructed or substantially altered.
- Where the activity is commercial or industrial at ground floor level.
purpose of the verandahs is to ensure weather protection for
pedestrians and to maintain the character of the commercial and
industrial/commercial zones of Hokitika.
Where verandahs are required for permitted activities, they shall be designed as follows:
- The verandah shall provide weather protection for pedestrians on the footpath.
- The verandah shall be continuous with any adjoining verandahs.
- The verandah shall not be supported by posts.
The verandah shall be a minimum of 2.8 m above the kerb, and the front
of the verandah is to terminate 450mm from the edge of the kerb.
the activity requires consent, verandahs may be required as a condition
of consent. In this case, the maximum that will be required is as
- Weather protection for pedestrians on the footpath.
- A design which complements the building and other verandahs in the area and is continuous with adjoining verandahs.
The requirement for verandahs for permitted activities, may be waived as a result of a resource consent.
Historic places A
Schedule of designated lands and heritage orders B
Roading Hierarchy C
Recession plane controls D
Assesment of discretionay activities E
Signs in Hokitika and the tourist zone F
Odorous Activities G
10 meter vegetation buffer strip - Franz Joseph / Waiau I
Ngai Tahu Claim